New Pinnacle Peak Recovery Blog Post Defines Heavy Drinking
December 20, 2021 at 17:50
Scottsdale, Ariz. — Pinnacle Peak Recovery, an alcohol and drug rehab facility in Scottsdale, Arizona, has published a blog post that explains what is considered heavy drinking. The post points out that consumption of large amounts of alcohol can be classified into two categories: the amount consumed and how quickly a person consumes the alcohol. The problem with drinking alcohol is that it is generally socially acceptable in the U.S. It is only when drinking begins to have negative effects on a person’s behavior that other people, such as friends and loved ones, notice something unusual is happening.
Binge drinking is a pattern of drinking where the person’s blood alcohol concentration (BAC) reaches 0.08% or higher. This has been observed to occur when men consume five or more drinks or women consume four or more drinks in a span of two hours. It is important to note that about 20% of the alcohol consumed is first absorbed into the bloodstream from the stomach with the remaining 80% more gradually absorbed through the small intestine. The alcohol in the bloodstream will reach the liver, which processes the alcohol at the rate of one ounce per hour. And as the alcohol backs up, its effects start to become stronger. People begin to feel the "buzz," which other people start to notice because the affected person speaks louder, becomes more emotional, or reacts in sadness or even anger.
Meanwhile, according to the post, studies have shown that those who binge drink usually don’t have severe alcohol use disorder and might just be taking part in an event, such as a concert or party, when their typical patterns are disrupted. It is the people who make binge drinking a regular event, or are even binge drinking at home, who are more at risk of developing a heavy drinking habit.
Heavy drinking is defined somewhat differently by professionals, but it is usually based on the quantity and frequency of drinking. According to the CDC, heavy drinking in men is when they consume 15 drinks or more per week. For women, it is eight drinks or more per week. But according to the National Institute on Alcoholism and Alcohol Abuse, heavy drinking means four drinks daily for men and three drinks daily for women. These definitions need to be kept in mind in order to become aware of when oneself or a loved one is shifting to chronic heavy drinking, which is regarded as alcohol use disorder.
It is also possible to have a co-occurring mental health disorder, such as depression or anxiety, along with alcohol use disorder. Therapists at treatment centers such as Pinnacle Peak Recovery can provide an alcohol treatment program for co-occurring disorders that allows people to realize why they are turning to a substance like alcohol.
It is important to note that heavy drinking comes with serious health risks. First of all, a person who previously had an active lifestyle may begin to adopt a sedentary lifestyle, especially when their daily activities are centered around drinking. When a stomach is full of alcohol, a person feels full, which means that vital nutrients are not consumed. This leads to weight gain centered in the stomach area. And since the liver is no longer able to process all of the alcohol fast enough, the person develops a yellow tinge in the whites of the eyes and on the skin. Heavy drinking can also worsen existing conditions, including diabetes, high blood pressure, and sleep disorders.
Established in 2015, Pinnacle Peak Recovery is an inpatient and intensive outpatient treatment center located in the Phoenix suburb of Scottsdale, Arizona, that offers nationally recognized, evidence-based treatment options. They are focused on using a comprehensive and holistic approach to helping people overcome their addiction and co-occurring mental health issues in a confidential, safe, and supportive environment.
People who want to know more about the effects of heavy alcohol consumption and the possible treatments for alcohol dependence provided by Pinnacle Peak Recovery can visit their website or call them at (844) 921-0635.
For more information about Pinnacle Peak Recovery, contact the company here:
Pinnacle Peak Recovery
8070 E Morgan Trail Unit 200
Scottsdale, AZ 85258